Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ragnar 2013: Wasatch Back

Exhausted. That is one word to describe how Josh & I feel the day after we crossed the finish line at Park City High School. This was our first Ragnar experience and it was an experience! Our team was the Roseman Dental School team. I didn't know anybody before we started but it was fun to get to know everyone! We had a few people back out the day before so lucky for us, Kari got to join our team.

The first part of our Ragnar experience started the day before. They had a Ragnar pre-race party at Scheels. Bree, Beckett, and I rode Front Runner down (our first time) where Josh picked us up in South Jordan. We headed to Scheels and decorated our van.




We were in Van 2 so we didn't have to get up to our starting point (Eden) until about 10-11 am. There was a mini-party going on up there, it was a lot of fun. We had to wait a little bit for Van 1 to get there and hand off to our first runner.

 My first leg was short, only 2.6 miles right outside of Eden, I finished in 23 minutes. It was hot, hot, hot.
 Josh's first leg was shorter as well, 3.8 miles and he finished close to the base of Snow Basin. he finished his leg in 28:15.
I didn't get any picture of our night legs (leg 2). It was, of course, night time and hard to get a good picture. My 2nd leg was down a canyon road, 5.9 miles and I finished in 50 minutes. It was actually one of my most favorite runs, I started it at 11:30 pm so it wasn't TOO late in the night. Josh didn't start his 2nd leg until like 2 am, I don't know how he did it. I was so tired at that point. His 2nd leg was 7.5 miles through some small towns, he finished that one in 60 minutes. Our last runner (Kari) finished just after 5 am. We were finally able to pull out our sleeping bags at on of the exchange areas and take a nap.

Day 2 of Ragnar was the hardest for our van, I think. We were all running on 2-3 hours of sleep and we were starting to feel the soreness in our muscles. My last leg was 5.5 miles (mildly uphill the whole way) through Heber & Midway, finishing at the Homestead resort.

 Josh's last leg was Ragnar Hill. Boy, oh, boy was it a hill! It was 4 miles long and he gained 2400 feet. He killed the first mile but then the hill took over. He did a great job though!
 The view from the top of Ragnar Hill.

 We finished at Park City High School, here is a pic of the best team ever!

Here is a picture of our 'kills' a.k.a. how many people we passed on our different legs.

Like mommy like son.

No comments:

{The life and love we create is the life and love we live}