Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crafty Craft Time

Every now and then I get the craft itch. I do not consider myself a crafty person, I typically rush through things too quickly so my attempts never turn out as good as others. However, its not the end result that counts...as long as i'm enjoying myself, right?

I was searching the web & different craft blogs for a craft idea that intrigued me. Mission accomplished. I found these cool picture blocks that you can make. You put pictures on these blocks and their a great keepsake, especially if you have kids that want to play with them like a puzzle. I'll take you through the process in case you have a craft itch that you need to address :)

Materials Needed:
*wooden blocks (size is your decision, i bought 6 blocks that put together were the size of a 5x7 picture)
*modge podge
*paint brush
*pictures (you can put a picture on each side of the block-6 pictures total-i did 2 pictures, and put patterned paper on the other sides that matched my living room. I would also recommend a classic picture.)
*scissors
*tape measure
Step 1: measure the sides of the block. On your pictures draw the measurments of the block on the back.

Step 2: Cut out the pictures on the pre-measured lines. Be very exact so that the picture pieces fit perfectly on the block face.

Step 3: Cut out remaining pictures OR colored/patterned paper.

Step 4: Using the modge podge & the paint brush, paint a thin layer on one side of the block, put picture piece on that side & press down to secure. Paint another thin layer of the modge podge on top of the picture to secure. Repeat on all sides.

Step 5: Paint another thin layer of modge podge on top of the dried block pictures to secure. Repeat as many times as you want until you get the 'look' that you prefer. I recommend at least 3 layers of modge podge on top of the picture.

Step 6: Let dry-and you're done!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Look at you go... documenting with pictures and everything! I've seen this craft idea before, but you've inspired me to actually do it. Your blocks turned out way cute, good job little homemaker :)

Brittany and Casey said...

Super cute!! So do you lay them flat on a surface like in your last picture? Or do you stack them up?

What is this blog about? said...

well thank you mini :) And Brittany-I did stack them up to sit on my shelf...but once said and done I think it would look better if it was bigger (the blocks were bigger).

{The life and love we create is the life and love we live}